- 1/4 cup yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 cup red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 3/4 cup roma tomatoes, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons Italian parsley, finely chopped
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 1/4 cup stock (chicken or vegetable)
- 1 tablespoon heavy cream
- 6 large sea scallops (preferably diver scallops, if you can find them)
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
Place 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a medium-sized sauté pan and heat on the stove over medium heat. Cook the onions and peppers with a pinch of salt for 5 minutes until a bit tender. Add the garlic and cook for 2 minutes. Next, add the tomatoes and let the juices simmer for 5 minutes. Finally add the parsley and check seasoning and lower heat to the lowest setting.
While the piperade is simmering, place the peas, stock, cream, and a pinch each of salt and pepper in a blender and puree until smooth. Place the pea puree in a microwave safe bowl and heat for 2-3 minutes until warmed through.
Place 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a medium-sized sauté pan and heat on the stove over medium-high heat. Pat the scallops dry of any moisture, and salt and pepper them on both sides. Just when the oil in the pan begins to smoke a bit, add the scallops flat side down. You should hear a beautiful sizzling sound at this point. Cook 2-3 minutes on both sides making sure you achieve a nice golden brown crust.
To assemble, spoon a few tablespoons of the pea puree in the center of a plate, place 3 scallops in a triangle pattern on top of the puree, and top the scallops with the piperade spooning around the plate a little as well.