Aparagus and English Peas with Penne and Ricotta Recipe
- 1/2 pound penne
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 pound thick asparagus, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups shelled English peas or frozen baby peas, thawed
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup whole milk ricotta cheese
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh sage
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese (it’s worth the money, trust me)
- Kosher Salt and pepper to taste
Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the penne and cook, stirring occasionally, until al dente (about 8-10 minutes). Drain.
Meanwhile, in a large sauté pan, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the garlic, asparagus, and a pinch of salt and cook over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, about 3 minutes. Add the stock and boil over high heat until reduced by half and the asparagus are tender, about 5 minutes.
Add the peas, ricotta, and cream to the skillet and boil over high heat until the sauce has thickened, 3 minutes or so. Stir in the penne and cook until heated through. Remove from the heat and stir in the butter, sage and the 1/2 cup of parmesan cheese. Season with salt and pepper and serve immediately.