According to Wikipedia, narcissism is the pursuit of gratification from vanity or egotistic admiration of one’s own attributes. The term originated from Greek mythology, where the young Narcissus fell in love with his own image reflected in a pool of water. So why is it easy to fall for a narcissist? The fact is that there are reasons a narcissist is good at fooling most, if not all, of us.
Psychology Today shares the skinny on what science knows about these guys and gals.
- They appear to be confident and strong.
- They appear to be accommodating.
- They put you on a pedestal.
- They seduce you with the roller-coaster ride relationship.
- They are sexually accomplished.
- They know how to game your investment in the relationship (and your empathy too).
So, if you’ve had a run-in with a narcissist, it’s important to recognize that seeing him or her clearly isn’t as easy as it sounds. Nope, the problem is that a narcissist can hide in plain sight and, somehow, he or she is still hard to spot.